Sunday, October 11, 2015

Plastic Bottle Business

For as long as I can remember, I have always been in love with the bottle redemption business. It is simple, easy and with a little determination and a lot of hard work you can be making serious $$$. 

For those of you who don't know the process, please see below:

Step #1. Collect plastic bottles.
Step #2. Bring to redemption center.
Step #3. Earn five cents per bottle!




Bottle Pro Tip #1. Live in Michigan: If you are lucky enough to live in Michigan, you get ten cents per bottle!! Sadly for many (including myself), living in Michigan is just a pipe dream.

Aside from making the involved parties big money, recycling these bottles also does the following:

#1. Helps the Environment
#2. Creates Jobs
#3. Makes non-redeemers jealous (Haters)

Bottle Pro Tip #2. See the Big Picture: Non-redeemers will always hate on your five cent or ten cent earnings. However, what they fail to see is the true earning potential of plastic bottles.

1 Bottle = $0.05
10 Bottles = $0.50
100 Bottles = $5.00
1,000 Bottles = $50.00
10,000 Bottles = $500.00! (Wendy's Wednesday's Fund.)
100,000 Bottles = $5,000.00!! (A tractor)
1,000,000 Bottles = $50,000.00!!! (Who needs a job? I'm a full-time redeemer.)

Despite my love for the plastic bottle business, I've never lived close enough to a bottle redemption center to fulfill my dream.

If I decided to transport the bottles myself, the tolls and gas money alone would have eaten into most, if not all of my profit.

With these barriers to entry I thought it would be impossible to get into this business. However, little did I know that a golden opportunity was waiting for me just around the corner...

Starting the Business
Just about a year ago, I remember becoming very excited when I found out that one of my colleagues was actually an active member of the bottle redemption community! Immediately I went to speak with her, and after a few short business negotiations we became partners!!!

The agreed upon terms were as follows:
- She would be my only bottle distributor.
- I would pay her 2.5 cents per bottle in distribution fees.
- I would earn 2.5 cents per bottle for myself.


Rough Patches
As with most businesses, there are always challenges to be faced along the way. This is especially true for businesses that are just starting out.  Here are just three challenges I encountered in my first few months of business.

#1. Shortchanged
I really, really, really didn't want to mention this, but early on, my business partner short changed me (Literally). I provided her with 22 plastic bottles for the very first shipment. With our $0.025 per bottle agreement in place, I expected to receive a total of $0.55 in return.

Unfortunately, when it came time for payment, I ended up receiving only $0.52!!! I was shocked.

When I went to reclaim my missing payment, I learned from one of her colleagues that she had just left for vacation. I immediately went to her manager and told him that I had been short changed $0.03. He didn't seem to care.

Luckily my partner did come back after her vacation and paid me in full. We have had a great business relationship ever since.


#2. Donations Requested
One of my colleagues kept on suggesting that I donate some of my proceeds to charity.

 I told her that I may be able to donate approximately 10% of my profits once the business gets going. However, since I'm just starting out I need to reinvest my profits into the business.  

Note: This is a challenge most profitable businesses face. Reinvest or Donate.


#3. Undercutting Colleague
One of my colleagues (who often refers to me as his "good buddy") told my business partner that he would give her a full truckload of plastic bottles for free. His only stipulation was that she would have to stop doing business with me completely.

I couldn't understand how he would benefit from giving away all of his bottles for free. He would be making a total of $0. 

After questioning this colleague, I quickly learned that his plan had nothing to do with making money, but instead his main goal was to ensure that I didn't make any more money.

Colleague: "I don't care if I have to pay to get the truckload of bottles here, I just want to see your business destroyed."


Making Money
After that initial rough patch, it was pretty much smooth sailing from then on. With my colleagues providing me with multiple bottles per day, I started rolling in the $$$. I was getting looks from jealous people each and every day (Including family members).

Business was booming during these first few months, and after a few more deliveries I ended up with a total of $5.55!

However one main issue eventually brought me to a temporary road block.

Temporary Break from the Business
Despite having a great deal of trunk space in my car, my partner's monthly delivery schedule just could not keep up with the supply I was providing to her. To my supplier's credit, she did offer me an expedited service for an additional fee of one cent per bottle.


Unfortunately, that extra one cent would have reduced my profits down to only 1.5 cents per bottle! To keep my margins high, I am currently looking for extremely cheap (or even free) storage space to
continue growing this business.

If anyone has suggestions on how I can go about obtaining cheap (preferably free) storage space please let me know in the comments below. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Comments