Saturday, October 3, 2015

Farmer Tip #2: Dealing with Winter

According to the Old Farmer's Almanac, my plants will die once the temperatures drop below freezing. Weather.com is saying I only have until early/mid-November before the first frost. Unfortunately I need my crops to last two months longer in order to reach harvest time!

Option #1: Let my plants die.

Option #2: Get a greenhouse!!!


Thanks to Harbor Freight and a 20% off coupon I got this greenhouse for only $85! Even with the cloudy days we've been having, the greenhouse has been about ten degrees warmer than the temperature outside.

In addition to the warmer temperature, my crops are now protected from the smaller critters & insects. S.S. is still keeping watch though, just in case foxes, wolves or bears try to take down my greenhouse. 
 
 Updates
- My second cucumber plant is now budding.
- I have been given a huge pot of strawberry plants from my family friend (now the centerpiece of the greenhouse).
- My cucumbers on the first plant have been growing very quickly.
- I put approximately 90 gallons of water in containers (supposed to retain some heat during the day and release it at night).
- I am saving cardboard, coffee grounds and leaves for my compost next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Comments