Sunday, October 11, 2015

My Review of the BK Halloween Whopper

Burger King has recently introduced a new "Dark" Halloween Whopper for the month of October. This sandwich comes complete with a black sesame bun and A.1. steak sauce.  


Being that I go to Burger King once a week, I decided to try out this new burger to see what all the hype was about. Before going however, I did some research to find out what ingredients were actually in the burger.

Ingredients
- Black Sesame Seed bun (According to Burger King's website, the artificial colors added to make the bun appear black, consist of a mix of yellow, blue, red and "caramel" colors.)*
- 1/4 lb. Beef
- American Cheese
- Tomatoes
- Lettuce
- Mayo
- A.1. Sauce
- Pickles
- Onions

*The flavoring and food colorings used to color the HA.1.®LOWEEN WHOPPER® black bun in the US, are commonly used in the industry and within the safe and Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Being that the added food colorings were within the acceptable daily intake, I was pretty sure I would be okay.

BK Employee Feedback
When I got to BK I asked the girl behind the counter what the general consensus was on this new burger. 

She told me that a lot of people had ordered it so far, but she could only provide her own opinion on the taste.

(Lying) Cashier Girl: "I tasted it and I liked it..."
















 I wasn't convinced at all by her reaction, but I ended up getting it anyway.

Presentation
When I got home, I took the sandwich out of the bag to find that it was wrapped in a very special mummy themed wrapper. Thinking back now I probably should've saved the wrapper and brought it into work for show and tell. They would have loved it. Ah, oh well.


















I opened up the wrapper and immediately noticed the following:

#1. The burger looked much duller in person vs. the commercials I saw (usually the case).


















#2. The burger patty was much smaller than I thought it would be.


















#3. My family looked absolutely disgusted!

Sandwich Price ($4.99)
- I could have gotten about three double cheeseburgers from the value menu for this price, so the $ to Calorie ratio was definitely not to my liking.
- However, the mummy wrapper was cool and the horrified looks I received from my family definitely made the $4.99 price worth it.











Taste
- It pretty much just tasted like a Whopper with A.1. sauce. Nothing more, nothing less.
- I'd give it a 6.5/10 for taste.
- Even if this Halloween Whopper became a normal menu item for half the price, I'd still stick with my weekly double cheeseburgers (from the Value Menu) going forward.

Overall
Other than the specialized wrapper and A.1. sauce infused black bun, there is nothing amazing about the Halloween Whopper. However, if you are looking to annoy, horrify or disgust your family, friends and/or co-workers this October, feel free to buy them the BK Halloween Whopper! Or just buy it for yourself eat it in front of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Comments